DIY bending Acrylic Glass to create clear & professional looking shapes
Acrylic is sometimes better and long-lasting alternative to glass. It has amazing features like transparency, clarity, and brilliance. You can use this in a residential or commercial place. This material is scratch and shatters resistant with appealing visuals. All these functionalities have made it a suitable glass replacement. Most importantly, you can use acrylic plastic sheets by a DYI project. You don’t need to hire a professional.
For a DIY, it is necessary to create a clear and professional-looking shape. That also you can do at your home. Here is the full process for you with all the necessary steps.
Why design this DIY project?
When you are working to decorate your home or office space, you will need several customized things. Especially, if you are doing interior decoration with glass, you will not prefer the readymade one always. You may need the glass with several shapes. So, as the acrylic sheets are easy to bend with some home instruments, why should you spend extra? The DIY project will save your budget to a great extent. Also, you will get the shape exactly according to your desire. It is an economic way to fulfill your needs and creative necessity.
Tools and Materials requirement
You can perform the project with some tools that are available at your home. Some tools and materials you will need are:
First of all, you will need a heat source based on your project size. You can use a strip heater, or a heat gun, or propane torch, or even soldering iron as a heat source. If it seems difficult to manage, you can even use a kitchen oven or hair dryer also. The main target is to make the acrylic sheets soft by heating. So whatever you can manage to heat it, you can use it.
That will need to create the jig.
To hold on the scrap strip wood strongly in a place as a bending jig.
Use a piece of plexiglass sheet with thickness up to 1/8 inch.
For cutting acrylic sheet finely.
As the task is with heat, it may harm if you don’t use adequate protective tools. Use heat-resistant gloves or kitchen oven gloves to protect hands from burns.
Procedure to bend plexiglass
The procedure is pretty simple. There are several methods but the common step of all is heating and bending. You will have to heat the acrylic sheet until it gets soft and then bend according to your preferable shapes. Here this method is with the same principle most easily and cheaply. Everyone can try this at home to get a professional clean shape on the acrylic sheet. Let’s follow the procedure step by step.
- Take an acrylic sheet of five 5 millimeters in thickness.
- The cut is in different sizes with the hacksaw.
- Before applying the heat, peel off the glass protective film from both sides.
- Wipe the dust out otherwise it will get stacked on the glass surface later on.
- Wear the heat resistant gloves and take the heat setup outdoor for getting good ventilation.
- Take the acrylic sheet above the heat source. Maintain a distance between the acrylic sheet and the heat source at least 6 inches or 15 centimeters. That will help you to avoid air bubbles.
- Apply heat evenly all over the surface to get a straight and clean bend.
- Keep applying heat evenly throughout the bend line and wait about 2-3 minutes until the acrylic sheet softened enough.
- When you will observe that it is bending without any pressure, then it is time to apply pressure on it to bend.
- Take the acrylic sheet away from the heating source.
- Use two pieces of scrap wood to hold the acrylic sheet in place. Take one piece to apply even pressure and start bending smoothly before cooling down.
- Use two hands to create an even pressure when you are bending the sheet to get a proper shape.
- To get the desired shapes to repeat the same procedure.
You can create some amazing professional looking shapes with these simple steps. You can make a straight bending, or twisted, or curved whatever you want. Just follow the steps carefully to get a sharp and clean bend without any air bubble and spots.
Useful tips to avoid bubbles or white spots on the acrylic glass
You will have to apply the heat evenly along the bend line of the acrylic sheet. Otherwise, it will create air bubbles or some irremovable scorch marks on the glass sheet. Also, do not put the heat source too close to the sheet to avoid the white spots. Even if you get the bubbles or white spots, move the heat a bit quickly along the bend line and hold it away from the sheet surface. The moving speed and the distance will depend on the acrylic sheet thickness. Thus, you can avoid the unexpected spots and ensure clean bending.
Where to buy a top-quality Acrylic sheet to carry on this DIY project
You may be interested to try the easy DIY and feeling the urgency of acrylic sheets. Very easily, you can order online and get a top-quality sheet at your home. You have a wide variety of options to choose from the website. After choosing, put an order and they will serve the product at your doorstep without any delivery charge. You can place a customized order if you don’t get your required size of the specification. Just mention the requirements on the form and wait to get the product at home. Hopefully, the easy steps will help you to get the desired glass shape to decorate your space uniquely.